Randy Maglinao, PhD
Senior Research Scientist
Brockmann Center 104M
300 West 13th Street
Havre, MT 59501
Dr. Randy Maglinao has extensive experience and knowledge in process engineering, cross metathesis of oils, alkylation of aromatics with olefins, and advanced catalytic conversion of vegetable oils into hydrocarbons and aromatics. He has successfully lead and managed projects (over $800K of funding) which includes production of renewable high-octane number compounds and propylene glycol. His current research involves development of sustainable fuel additives from waste, such as used vegetable oils and waste sludges.
- Maglinao, R. L.; He, B. B. Optimization of in situ Hydrogenolysis of Glycerol to Propylene Glycol and Ethanol. Biofuels. 2014, 5 (15), 569. doi: 10.1080/17597269.2014.1002998
- Maglinao, R. L.; Abedin, M. J. Developing a Conversion Process Technology to Produce the Next Generation Fuels and Chemicals from Natural Oils. Montana Professor. 2014, 24 (1), 12. url: https://mtprof.msun.edu/Fall2014/biofuel.html
- Maglinao, R. L.; He, B. B. Verification of PG preparation from glycerol via acetol pathway by in situ hydrogenolysis. Biofuels. 2012, 3(6), 675. doi: 10.4155/bfs.12.65
- Maglinao, R. L. and He, B. B. Catalytic thermochemical conversion of glycerol to simple and polyhydric alcohols using Raney nickel catalyst. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 2011, 50(10), 6028. doi: 10.1021/ie102573m
- Advancing bio-based chemicals and next-generation fuels from Montana’s agricultural crops. Montana Research and Economic Development Initiative. $800,000. 07/2015-06/2017. Maglinao, R. L. (PI); Resurreccion, E. R; Sullivan, A.; Windy Boy J. A.; Abedin, M. J.
- Advancing glycerol conversion technology for commercialization for sustainable biodiesel industry. Idaho State Board of Education. 07/2012-06/2013. $50,000. He, B. B.; Maglinao, R. L. (co-PI)
- Renewable industry initiative. Economic Development Administration (05-79-05251). 01/2012-01/2017. $647,738. Kegel, G.; Tuss, P. Windy Boy, J.; Soriano, N.; Maglinao, R. L. (co-PI); Abedin, M. J.
- MSU-Northern Bio-Energy center of excellence. USDOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EE0003137). 2010-2017. $2.25M. Kegel, G.; Windy Boy, J.; Soriano, N.; Maglinao, R. L. (co-PI); Abedin, M. J. (read technical report here)
To learn more about Randy’s research, please visit our Research page.